Saturday, November 6, 2021

Searching databases and consultancy work!

This week we discovered the multitude of databases that are available and how to determine if they are a good resource. It was fascinating to discover the amount of information that has been preserved so we can learn about our ancestors, not just names and dates, but about what is going on in their town, state, country at the time. Learning the history of the time and place of your ancestor will help you in determining the correct database to search. We also learned about volunteering and doing consultancy work. It got me curious what our ward and stake goals are and I don't think much is going on. As a member of the Relief Society presidency, I am over temple and family history, so I should be working with my ward on our ward efforts. I learned about the massive amounts of information in Family Search and The Family History Guide to help individuals and volunteers to help others. Am I prepared to volunteer to help others in their family history? At a church activity today, my friend learned I was taking a family history class and asked if I could help her with her adopted child's Native American Indian genealogy. The questions was overwhelming and exciting. Could I? I was able to go home and search for some information about Native American ancestry and sent it to her. I'm excited to keep learning and gain some confidence in not just cleaning up my own lines with proper documentation, but even helping others with their family history as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Goals

When I started this semester, I was looking to gain enough information that I could start working on my family tree in FamilySearch. However...