Friday, December 3, 2021

The Big 4!

 This week we explored vital records, marriage and family laws, and probate records and how they can help the genealogist create a timeline of an individual and family. I particularly enjoyed readying some of the probate records and gaining a better appreciate for how little they had and how much they valued everything. The marriage laws were also interesting, as women really had no legal status, but were considered more of a belonging of the husband. Our ancestors worked so hard very everything they had. In contrast, our generation feels entitled to so much without having to work for it. With all our increased knowledge, technology and accumulation of property (and stuff), how is it that we are becoming less educated, more entitled and more divided as a people, we devalue the family and religion and we call this progress? Even the poorest people in America have more than our early ancestors. AS I continue to study the lives of my ancestors, my heart is definitely turned to them in gratitude for their great sacrifices for a better life. I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Goals

When I started this semester, I was looking to gain enough information that I could start working on my family tree in FamilySearch. However...