Saturday, November 13, 2021

Search Strategies and Consultant Work

 This week we learned more search strategies and I also worked with a group to prepare a slide show to teach Family History Consultants and to help a family with Family History. I have to admit that when I started these courses, I really was just wanting to learn the proper way to research and look for sources for my own family. But, after seeing everything that is available to help Family History Consultants, I can see that my Stake and Ward is not taking advantage of these wonderful resources. I reached out to our Ward Family History Leader to see how I could help (which is party of my responsibility as a Relief Society Counselor), and he admitted to me that they really weren't doing anything. He is just focused on the temple class right now. I can see that he is overwhelmed thinking about how to get the ward doing more Family History. I'm excited with everything we are learning and the prospect of being able to help other families start building their own family trees with proper research and sources. I'm hoping that they will meet soon and I can offer my support with all these resources I didn't know about before, especially in the Family History Guide. So much training is available, it's awesome. I feel like I was truly inspired to take these classes and gain some confidence in my ability to learn and teach others. In the past, I have always felt like it wasn't the right time with a young family and our own business, it was hard to give it the time it deserved. But, now, with retirement looming around the corner, and me wondering what I was going to do in the next phase of my life. I am excited that I will have the time to really jump in with both feet and be of assistance to others as well as my own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Goals

When I started this semester, I was looking to gain enough information that I could start working on my family tree in FamilySearch. However...