Monday, December 13, 2021

Goals


When I started this semester, I was looking to gain enough information that I could start working on my family tree in FamilySearch. However, with pioneer ancestors, there are many people working on my lines and there are lots of mistakes. My biggest question was, how do I fix these mistakes and know that I am not making even more mistakes. I knew I had a lot to learn. I wasn't wrong.

The most important thing that I learned is that to be a good genealogist, you really need to study correct research strategies, how to analyze records, create logs, be organized, be specific, be detailed, know how to use RootsMagic, FamilySearch, Ancestry, understand databases and so much more!!! There is so much more to genealogy that I had previously imagined. And it is wonderful and exciting and overwhelming at the same time. 

Henry B. Eyring said, "You will be temped to stop and leave the hard work of finding to others who are most expert or to another time in your life. But you will also feel a tug on your heart to go on in the work, hard as it will be." I am definitely feeling that tug, and also am tempted to leave the hard work to another. Taking these classes has given me some confidence to keep going. There are so many helps in FamilySearch, The Family History Guide, webinars, conferences, genealogical society, family search centers. The list goes on. The goal is to take it one step at a time. I cannot run before I can walk.

I have definitely gown in that I am excited about being able to help others grow their family trees and gain a love of family history and learning about their ancestors and being able to take their names to the temple. It's exciting to be able to build a family and then seal them together in the temple. 

I previously had the opinion that you did not need much training to do genealogy work. I now understand how important it is to know correct research strategies, how to create a plan and a research log, cite your sources, analyze, collaborate and so much more. Anyone doing family history work should have more than a 1 hour class in relief society. It does have to start with an interest though.

Dieter F. Uctdorf said, "Those who are unafraid to roll up their sleeves and lose themselves in the pursuit of worthwhile goals are a blessing to their families, communities, nations, and to the Church."  My love/hate relationship with the church is that we can never stop learning, never stop growing, never stop challenging ourselves. In the last general conference, Michael Dunn gave a wonderful talk about become 1% better, it won't happen all at once, just shoot for 1% better.The Lord wants us to keep learning, keep growing, keep contributing and blessing the lives of others. I feel the Lord tugging me along in this work for myself and for others too.

My goal is to continue with BYU-I to complete the Family History certificate. I have a goal to serve at a family history consultant of volunteer in the Family History Center. There are many opportunities to keep learning. I am looking forward to continuing on in this path of family history and genealogy work. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Goals

When I started this semester, I was looking to gain enough information that I could start working on my family tree in FamilySearch. However...